Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Where We Stand

I've been debating whether or not I should write this post for about a half an hour, but I can't sleep so I might as well get this all out. Krissy is in rough shape right now. After being in the hospital for two days and battling ascites, blocked bile ducts, jaundice and of course cancer, Krissy is now fighting another critical battle against her kidneys. They've slowly been deteriorating under the pressure of ascites and a tumor that is blocking her right ureter and are now close to failure. The doctors are trying a cocktail of drugs to jump-start her kidneys back into action and get her renal system working again. If they are successful then we can go back to getting the stent and moving Krissy to the next step. If the kidneys fail, we risk losing our girl.

Right now I'm sitting in ICU with her and watching stuff drip into her veins via almost a dozen tubes. They put a central line into her artery to deliver some of the heavy duty drugs and she's still pretty sedated and sleepy. It's been a long, difficult day, and I hope it will end with some rest and good news about her kidneys. I won't know one way or the other for several more hours, so it's going to be a long night. I'm exhausted and seeing Kris in this much pain is breaking my heart. I just want her to get some relief from all of this. I'm going to be praying very hard that her kidneys will start functioning again and she can get her strength back.

This is about all I can say for now, and I apologize this is such a short and jumbled post. My brain feels like scambled eggs and I should probably try to sleep. I know I won't, but I should try. I will try to post more tomorrow once I have an update on her condition. Thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers for my wife, I'm so thankful for you all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Frank, at a time like this there are so many things racing through your mind. If I had to guess, Krissy is probably dealing with this better than you. I've lost loved ones to the big C and have a close friend (Jerry Nowell) who was just diagnosed with a Meyoloma. So often we need an answer, something from God or a doctor to help it all make sense. One ill relative said to me "I'm certain God is not up there pointing - you get cancer, you get to die in a train wreck, etc. He is however our strength when we feel like being human is not enough. If we take away the tendencies to feel guilty or the fact Krissy and you both got cheated then we are left with how to get through today and add value to each others lives now.
You both are amazing people. Things happen to amazing people, just like they do to the rest of us. The difference is your example of grace and love and caring. These examples become a part of everyone who knows you and Krissy. I can assure you, Frank, every time one of us has a loved one injured or sick we will always remember you and Krissy's journey. However it ends up - we all will want to be as giving and compassionate to our loved ones.
Sylvia and I pray for you often. God Bless you both.

Unknown said...

Keep fighting Frank and lend Krissy your strength. The human body and your girl are amazing and can do amazing things. We're thinking of you and praying that her kidneys kick back in. Don't give up.