Sunday, April 10, 2011

Disney - Day Two

During our second day at Disney World I had some time to reflect and make some observations. I've noticed some strange and interesting things, such as:

  • Ice Cream and funnel cakes are perfectly acceptable as breakfast foods.
  • Good looking women with sloppy, fat men: is it love, money, or attraction to fat sloppy men? I'm very confused on this one.
  • If you don't believe in evolution I can prove you wrong. After viewing a large sample of the human population, I've seen the Missing Link. Several times.
  • It's impossible to tell a 12 year old girl from a 19 year old girl. This is terrifying on many levels.
  • There is still a great need for Stretch Pants and Short Shorts licenses in this country.

For Day Two at Disney World the Lanza Clan decided to take on the Magic Kingdom. I'm glad we waited until the second day for this park because I'm not sure anything can compare to this for sheer Disneyness, and I'd have hated to feel let down after our first day. As it was, the Magic Kingdom lived up to it's name and then some, we all had an absolute blast today. From the minute you walk through the front gates and see Main Street USA, to your first view of Cinderella's Castle, to the shows, parades, rides and shopping, this place is non-stop fun and entertainment. I can truly say we were constantly engaged for the entire 10 hours we spent here today. This was exactly what I expected from Disney World.

I really can't detail everything we did today, but I'll provide a few highlights. Cori was kind of scared on the Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion rides, and Camryn told her to "Don't be such a wuss." We all loved the jungle cruise, the live Dreams show in front of the castle, and we all agreed Pinocchio's restaurant sucked. There's no excuse for making crappy mac & cheese. Fantasy Land is by far the most fun of all the areas in the park. And we all thought the Tea Cups are super fun even though I wanted to barf several times before the ride was over.

However I have to share two great highlights from today with you. I know I'm going to cherish these as two of my best memories of this trip so far. The first was a quicky, but caught me by surprise, and I was so happy it worked out the way it did. We decided to check out the TomorrowLand area before figuring out a dinner plan. We were a little bummed that Cam wasn't tall enough for the Stitch's Great Escape ride (two measly inches!) and Cori wasn't up for attempting Space Mountain on her own, so we settled on the TomorrowLand Speedway. It's basically a big go-kart track on rails, you can control the gas but it pretty much steers itself. Cam could ride with me and Cori got her own car. I got into our kart and slipped behind the steering wheel, looked at the setup and thought, why am I driving this thing? I asked if Cam could drive and got the go-ahead. I stuck the runt behind the steering wheel and stepped on the gas. Even though this thing was on rails you could still steer a little bit left and right, and this proved to be the most fun we had on a ride all day. Cam was giggling hysterically at her control of the car, I was laughing at our drunken master style of driving as she slammed us back and forth, and Cori was tailing us and laughing at the entire scene. Add to that the fact Cori rear ended us three times in a kart that goes about 4 mph and we must have looked like quite the crew. By the time we finished this ride we were all so upbeat we knocked out a few more rides before heading to dinner.

Dinner turned out to another clinic in Camryn Magic. We're eating off of the Disney meal plan here, meaning we have prepaid for so many snacks, fast food and restaurant meals each day. The first two are easy to find and use up, but the restaurant, or "table service" meals are harder since most of the restaurants require a reservation. The best one in the Magic Kingdom is Cinderella's Royal Table. Inside of the big castle, featuring the four main princesses in person, this is every little, and probably big, girl's dream dinner at Disney World. Not quite knowing this at the start, I asked the hostesses if they had any openings for dinner and was told only if there was a cancellation, so basically fat chance, but I could try back later. Fair enough, so we checked out a few of the souvenir shops and I asked one more time. This is where the Cam Magic kicked in. As I'm asking the hostess about other table service restaurants around the park since there were no cancellations, Bean is chatting up the other hostess and being her usual irresistible self. This goes on for a few minutes, after which I'm now told if I can hang out for about 10 minutes they'll let me know if anything opens up. Interesting. We take a seat and watch about thirty people ask the hostesses for openings and they are all turned away. Seven minutes later, we are beckoned by Cam's new best friend and given a ticket to head inside and get our pictures taken with Cinderella and then head to our table for dinner. I look at Cam, shake my head and laugh. Whatever this kid has, I need to bottle it and sell it for $49.95 a pop. Dinner was incredibly fun, definitely a memory I'll cherish forever, and I hope the girls will too. As Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel and Belle passed our table, each were sucked in by Bean's gravitational pull and spent the most time chatting at our table. Ariel even nicknamed her Camryn Berry. They're like best buddies now. We all ate too much and left with huge grins on our faces. Thanks Cam!

That was pretty much it for Day Two. We took the bus home, another quick dip in the pool, showers, and now bedtime. Tomorrow we take on Universal Studios and Harry Potter. I hope they're ready for us!

G'night!

2 comments:

Greg said...

Frank-
It's great to read about your trip, and it's a lot of fun to think about you and your girls having a blast in Florida. Here's hoping for some family photos! That Droid X takes great pics. :-)

Frank said...

Thanks Greg, it's been an experience for sure! I've got a camera full of pics, just need to get them posted to Picasa soon. I hope you, Lia and Linda are all doing well!