Friday, June 10, 2011

From the Mouths of Babes

Last night we were treated to dinner at a friend's house, and on the car ride home Cam asked me "Why wasn't Mommy there tonight?" I wanted to answer, but I'm also trying to figure how how my little girl is understanding things, so I asked her, "Where do you think she is tonight?". Here's how the conversation went from there:

"She's in Heaven daddy"
"You're right honey, she's in Heaven."
"Why did Mommy die?"

And that last question really got me. She's never asked this before, and I didn't know she was already thinking about Krissy's absence in relation to death. I really didn't know how to answer, but I thought if she's processing like this already, then I should be honest. I explained what cancer was, and Mommy was very sick with it, and she just couldn't stay alive anymore so God took her to Heaven so she could rest. She then wanted to know why God took Mommy. I hope this made sense to her and that she'll understand it later, but he took Mommy because she was a good person and so she could rest in Heaven while she watched over us.

Cam was quiet for a minute and I knew she was filing it all way into that brilliant little brain of hers. Finally she asked, "Is that why you cry for Mommy?" Boy, nothing gets by this kid. Yes, I told her, that is why I cry, because I miss her and wish she was here with us instead of being in Heaven, but I'm glad she is not sick anymore. Again, a break to process, and then she wrapped it up with "I love you Daddy" which of course made me cry.

Every single day these girls amaze me with their personalities, their intelligence, their strength, and their perfect little hearts. Although I didn't want to do it alone, I'm incredibly thankful that I can raise them to be such wonderfully good people. And every so often, one of them will completely blow my mind on a simple car ride home.

2 comments:

The Cupcake Tower said...

Thank you for sharing this. You and your girls are amazing.

Teresa said...

They will grow into amazing women. You have every reason to be proud.