Monday, December 28, 2009

Day One at Oasis

Well we're finally here! Today marked the first day of Krissy's cancer treatments at the Oasis of Hope. Krissy has really been doing great these past few weeks and I'm very happy we decided to come here at this time. She looks amazing, feels so much better and is in great spirits. In fact she's doing so well that when we arrived they had to ask which of us was the patient. I feel she's going to get miraculous results from her time here.

Things started off pretty quietly. We woke up freezing in our room because the heat never kicked on and then she had her blood drawn around 7:30. After that we headed down for breakfast. I was a bit nervous about eating here, since all the guests eat what the patients are served. We're not talking hospital food here, but "a healthy and nutritious menu" which I assumed would only consist of wheatgrass shakes and avocado sandwiches. I'd surely starve! Much to my surprise and pleasure, the food here has been healthy and very good. We've had tasty soups, poached eggs on wheat toast, yummy brown Spanish style rice and refried beans. We were even served pan fried potatoes with dinner tonight, I almost jumped for joy.

The hospital itself is a very restful and positive place. All of the staff have been excellent, but not overbearing in that typical Western hospital fashion. It's a fairly small building with just a few floors, and there is a nice chapel at one end and a conference/activity room at the other. So far we've attended a few classes and a prayer session. After spending so much time in hospitals and being in such a sterile environment, it's refreshing to get out of the room and simply talk to folks about life and healing. There's also a little Catholic church down the street that we plan to visit and a small gym I might try out.

The most amazing aspect of our short stay thus far have been the people we have met. There are obviously other people here with various stages of cancer, some doing ok and others not so well. But, all have been willing to talk and share their experiences, and all are moving about the hospital unencumbered by tubes and machines. They're simply here to receive healing.

There is an incredible family across the hall from us. Nicole, who is only 24, was diagnosed with brain cancer two weeks ago. Her parents, Terry and Tina, immediately decided Oasis was the best option for her and she agreed, and I have to say I'm glad they were brought here at the same time as Krissy and I. They have such great attitudes and are just good people. I've done my homework on cancer over the past two months, but Nicole's father Terry taught me a few new things just this morning. We've had all our meals with them and I feel that we've made friends for life by sharing this experience with them. Nicole is a very energetic young woman, and watching her talk to Krissy about their cancer is a bit surreal. Neither of them look like what you'd expect a cancer patient to look like, but I guess that in itself is a good thing.

Tomorrow the doctors will meet to discuss Krissy's case and determine what other tests and treatments she might receive. We don't expect any changes, possibly more scans or x-rays. I'm not really concerned anymore about what they show, Krissy is doing exactly what she needs to do in order to cure her cancer and I've put my complete faith in her.

We miss the kids like hell. They are the one thing that keeps going and also makes these 12 days seem so much longer than it really is. But, they are in the excellent hands of our family and I know they'll be fine until we get home. Still doesn't fix the hurt in my heart that I can't hug them every night but we'll get by with the webcams and Skype until I can. But for now we have to be focused on Krissy and getting her healed.

Well, our room is now warm and toasty since they've cranked the heat on for us and I'm getting sleepy. Kris is comfy in her bed across from me, and we're watching Two and a Half Men on some channel that rebroadcasts American shows. Earlier it was Rachel Ray and Entertainment Tonight. Just like home! With that I'm signing off, I'll have more updates tomorrow. G'night!

4 comments:

Colleen G said...

Frank, thanks sooo much for keeping us all up to date with Krissy...Please let me know if I can help in anyway while you are both away. Please give Krissy a big ol hug for me!!!
col

MGS said...

Yep, Thank you for the updates! Prayers continue from me. Love you guys!

Phyllis Zaepfel said...

God be with you!

Tari Ann said...

Krissy - I'm sure that your strength and faith are giving others there as much comfort as they are giving you. Love and prayers are with you and Frank.