Friday, September 23, 2011

Remembering Dad

I'm posting Dad's eulogy from his service, for anyone that wants to read, or just remember Dad through our words. This copy doesn't include the additions from my cousin Amber, who read it beautifully, but I think it's good enough. Thank you to everyone that came for his service and reception, I know Dad would have been so happy to see you all.



Frank was loved by many, and always known for his gentle demeanor, worth ethic and his love of the outdoors. And while he was a man of few words, there is much to be said about him by his friends and family. Those that loved him most have written dedications to Frank, and would like to share them now.

From his sister Pat
Frank was one of the best brothers you could have. He was very kind and gentle, despite being raised by four sisters. He was our baby brother which makes it so difficult to know he is no longer going to be with us. I know he will still be watching over us as he is visiting with the loved ones who went before him. He would be so proud to know how many people are here today, even though there is sadness in our hearts. We will never forget you!

From his wife Patrcia
Frank Lanza, my husband, lover and best friend was a simple man that spoke no ill word of anyone, gave to all and never asked for anything in return.  Frank came into my life 13 years ago unconditionally, and with it came something that everyone should encounter in their life and that was an endless love, a love that went beyond anything possible to really find words for. Frank never left the house without saying he loved me and to have a good day. Frank taught me through the years we had together how to love and to love back which I have come to know as his is best virtue. Frank entered each day with tireless energy for his job, family, and friends. And even after the day was done he seemed to find time for me, or the yard or house. Anyone that knew Frank knew that is gardening and his yard was his favorite hobby. He used to say there is nothing better than fishing, camping, hunting or riding ATVs in the rivers and mountains of Colorado that he loved so much. Frank found great joy in our family and especially in our four grandchildren Coral, Camryn, Hannah, and David.

God has taken this great man from us but he leaves behind many great memories for each of us. Frank I know that you will always be there for me spiritually as I continue through life. The love you gave me will live in my heart forever and I will truly miss and love you. As I never use the words good bye, I will see you later as you now join mom, dad and Krissy. See you later my husband and best friend. I’ll love you dearly each and every day until we meet again.

From his son Joey
Dad was an extremely generous man. He always gave to us no matter what.  We never lacked or went without, and always had an abundance. Even though he was so soft spoken, you could always count on him to be there when you needed him. Dad was very thoughtful and was always meeting other people's needs.  He would go the extra mile to make things special, especially for us kids. He never missed a single baseball, basketball, or football game of mine, he was always involved in the things that were important to us. I always loved hearing him laugh, when he laughed he really went for it. He was a loving, kind, wonderful Dad who will be missed very much.

From his son Frankie
If you asked anyone that knew Dad to describe him, you’d undoubtedly hear something like “he was the most quiet, soft-spoken man I’ve ever met.” And that truly was Dad. Never first to speak, never big on long talks or sharing his feelings. But for me, it was always what Dad didn’t say, but what he did in life, that spoke the most. He’d never tell you what he had planned for the day, but you’d probably end up being treated to lunch or taken to Cripple Creek on the spur of the moment. And if you ever managed to make him really mad, like I did when I wrecked his work truck backing it down the drive way, then you got the dreaded eye-brow raise but never a harsh word. Trust me, the eyebrows were much worse than anything he could have ever said.

As much as Dad’s good nature and mild manner defined him, to me Dad will always be the example of what a hard working, loyal, honest and loving man should be. He was always there, no matter what you needed, and never expected to be re-payed or have the favor returned. Dad was simply a good man.

My best memories of Dad will always be of days spent at the shop, riding in the work trucks, or keeping pace with him on the jobsite back in my gutter hanging days. Everything I learned about being a man and about doing honest work I learned on those hot summer days. I also learned what it meant to be respected, because you never met a person that worked with Dad that didn’t have the utmost respect for him. And at the end of a long hard day, if you were lucky enough to be riding back with him, you probably got treated to a beer and a few good laughs. That’s what I’ll miss the most, the simple times spent with the man that didn’t need to say everything that was on his mind, but expressed every word in how he loved you.

Despite the suddenness of Dad’s passing, my sister Cesa gave me the best visual the other day. She imagined Krissy, enjoying her day up in heaven, and being pleasantly surprised when Dad showed up out of the blue. I can picture their reunion, and take comfort that two amazing angels are together and watching over us here on Earth. At least we know that he won’t talk her ear off.

I love you dad, and we’re all going to miss you.

No comments: