Monday, November 7, 2011

Fearful Symmetry

I believe everything happens for a reason. I believe in fate. But I also believe that events can occur randomly or by pure chance. I've never been the kind of person that placed faith in when or how certain events happened in my life, but recently the calendar has been difficult to ignore. Allow me to demonstrate:

My father was born on September 14th. My wife Krissy was born on September 20th.
Krissy passed away on May 14th. She was buried on May 20th.
My father died on his birthday, September 14th. He was buried on September 20th, also my wife's birthday.

That's a lot of 14's and 20's. That's a lot of tragic events coinciding with days that should have been joyful occasions. It's hard to ignore when you look at the calendar, and it makes me wonder if there is any meaning to it at all, or just a cruel set of circumstances that just happened to occur on days of personal importance. Either way, it's hard to accept. 

I don't like to live my life marking the days that these kinds of things have occurred in my life. I've always chosen to live every single day as if it's a new day, with a new meaning. I don't dread these anniversaries, at least not yet, but the events are still so fresh in my mind I'm not completely sure how these associations will work come next year, or the year after, etc. Life is strange, wonderful, beautiful and confusing, and most of all unpredictable. Maybe I'll find comfort in the fact that two people I loved so much share so much in common after their passing. Time will only tell.

No comments: