Friday, November 16, 2007

System Overload

I can't do it like I used to. It's sad, but true. Actually I'm not sure I was ever really able to do it in the first place. What the hell am I talking about here? My ability to track, consume and absorb all of the media that interests me of course! What did you think I was talking about? :)

Recently it seems that there has been an overwhelming amount of good books, comics, movies, games, blogs, TV shows, music and other assorted sensory data, and I'm just having a hard keeping up with it all. This may sound stodgy of me, but it wasn't like this when I was a kid. There were still books, movies, music, TV and games of course, but it never seemed to me like I wouldn't have the time to get to all of it if I wanted. These days, there truly is too much out there. Even with family duties aside I don't think I could watch, read or play everything I want to.

I'll use my current queue of "stuff" to do as an example:
Read: Dark Tower III-The Waste Lands by Stephen King
Read this week's comics: New Avengers, X-Factor, World War Hulk, Thor, Captain Marvel, Serenity and Astonishing X-Men
Watch: Smallville (this and last week's episode), Californication, 28 Weeks Later, and this weekend's sports lineup
Play: The Witcher, Call of Duty 4, Hellgate: London, Siphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Browse: The remainder of my blogs, eBay

As you can see, that's quite a few hours worth of entertainment goodness. And I only listed what want to get this weekend. We won't even go into that list.

I suppose my point with all this is that we're surrounded by media on all sides now, and no matter what your tastes there is more than enough to keep you occupied 24/7. Whether or not this is a good thing is up for debate, I supposed it all depends on how well you can balance these distractions with the every day rigors of real life. I know this is an everyday challenge for myself and my family.

Do you feel there is just too much good stuff out there? How do you keep up with it all?

1 comment:

Greg said...

I've got 28 Weeks Later sitting at home myself - we've had it for a good week and haven't had time to watch it. We haven't been doing so well at working our way through our 100+ item Netflix queue. We'd be going faster if we weren't devoting so much time to Heroes, Journeyman, House, and CSI.

The Witcher - I've heard good things. I'll have to add that one to my (long) to-play list, which includes Super Mario Galaxy, Assassins Creed, World in Conflict, Gears of War (PC), Crysis, Dementium: The Ward, plus the games I'm currently playing (Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Baldurs Gate 2) But Hellgate: London? My take is that it's overrated. Of course, I'm a MMO-hater.

So much stuff to consume, so little time. I've got over a dozen books on my "to-read" shelf. Good thing I'm in the car 2 hours a day so that I have time to listen to all my podcasts. I think what you're describing comes about partially due to FoMSS (fear of missing something syndrome) and partially due to a fear of downtime. If I go shopping with my wife, I'll always bring a book and my Nintendo DS. What if I had to sit there and wait for 10 minutes and I had nothing to do? The horror!