Monday, November 26, 2007

Terminator's Salvation?

The Terminator movies have always been in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. T2 is simply one of the best movies ever, hands down, no doubt about it. T3 wasn't as good but still held the action to a pretty high standard. There is also a new series slated to hit Fox next year, The Sarah Connor Chronicles starring Summer Glau from Firefly and Lena Headey from 300. I have high hopes for this show but knowing Fox it'll get canceled about 5 episodes in.

However, these movies and shows aren't the reason for my post today. There is a new Terminator sequel in the works, called Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins. Now the title had me a bit worried, and the fact that McG is directing didn't fill me with warm and fuzzies either. Today, however, a very good piece of news was released: Christian Bale has been cast as John Connor. This fills me with much joy and happiness since Mr. Bale singlehandedly saved the Batman franchise and is just an all around great actor. Not to mention this may enable the producers to put together a much better cast than we had for T3. I'll be watching this production very closely now and hoping for a triumphant return for the Terminator franchise.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Agreed - T2 was even better than the original Terminator. I've got to say though, I wasn't the biggest fan of Terminator 3. I wrote a article a while back on how it could have been better. They need to focus less on higher and higher technology and less on star power. T3 would have been better without Arnold.

My hopes for The Sarah Connor Chronicles are pretty dismal. Summer Glau is good, but I'm not sure she can pull this out of the can. I expect it to totally break Terminator canon and have some pretty repetitive plots. I didn't like the Highlander TV series either.

Christian Bale as John Connor could work well - what they need to do is focus on the humans rather than on one mega-terminator. They also need to remember that the Terminators were built as infiltration agents and originally had plastic skin. The real shock troops fighting for the robots were not humanoid. In short, they need to go back and watch the first movie and get their sh** straight.

Frank said...

I completely agree with you about T3 and also on your comments about the new series. I'm wanting very badly for it to be good, but even so Fox will probably cancel it before it gets off the ground.

It would be great if they could get back to the desparate, gritty feel of the first Terminator. Less tech, more about humanity's fight.