Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Baby Talk and the Holy Spirit

No, that title doesn't refer to the latest Indiana Jones movie or a hot new inspirational self-help book. In reality it's just about a couple of recent, highly enjoyable events in my life. And just to mix things up, I'll start with the last one first!

This past weekend was my daughter Coral's First Holy Communion. For the non-Catholics out there, this is the holy sacrament where a child takes the body and blood of Christ for the first time. Now, I'm not a super religious person, but I do hold to my traditions and this is an important one for all of my family. Cori looked beautiful and she was very poised throughout the entire Mass. She did make me laugh a bit at the end, as she asked me if she could go pee about five minutes before receiving Communion. As much as would have liked to relieve her, there was no way she was getting up at that stage of the game. So, she toughed it out, took her first Communion and then sprinted for the restroom directly after. She always has a way of making events memorable!

The reception was held at our home afterwards and one of the best nights I've spent with friends and family in a long time. Everyone ate, drank, laughed and just enjoyed each other's company for a few hours. We don't entertain at our house very often but I'm glad we did, it was nice that everyone could have a good time in our home. You can find some pics of the gala event here.

Now, on to the second part of my post, the wonderful phenomenon of baby talk. My youngest daughter Camryn is 10 weeks old now, and is quite the chatterbox for such a little person. I'm not just talking about the standard baby cooing that all infants will start vocalizing around six weeks old. This is seriously full blown baby-to-parent communication. I swear she's trying to imitate what we're saying and form words of her own. The eyes are excited, the mouth is working, the tongue is trying to make the sounds and she's chatting away. If her little body were capable of it I'm confident she would be talking in complete sentences already.

Now I know what you're thinking. This is just daddy gushing about his perfect baby, everyone's baby makes noises at that age and no baby can actually talk at only ten weeks. Ok, maybe that's sorta right, but I don't believe it :) I'm pretty sure she knows what exactly what we're saying and is really a little adult trapped in a baby's body. I'm betting her first actual words will pop out in about six months, and it'll be something like "May I have an additional four ounces of that exquisite formula?" Seriously.

1 comment:

Greg said...

All the really minor milestones are so much fun - I'm so with you on that. New noises, (did you hear that? She just said "errraa"!) new skills, (See that? She just watched me walk across the room!) even stupid stuff. (You see how much she pooped?)

My daughter just started pulling stuff off shelves and stacking it in a different spot, rather than throwing it anywhere. She's gonna be organized like me, I can just tell. ;-)