Thursday, July 17, 2008

Aspen Homage

If you've seen my other posts on comic book artist Michael Turner, then you already know he was an incredible artist that left us far too soon. He also touched the lives of thousands of fans and professionals during his career. As a way of saying "thank you" and paying our respects to his family, the fan community over at Aspen Comics are producing a tribute book to present to Mike's family and friends. The book will consist of pieces that are inspired by, or seek to recreate, our favorite works from Mike over the years. I decided to participate in this excellent project and submitted the following piece for the cause.


This was my stab at drawing Aspen from his comic book Fathom, and is based on the cover from issue #2. It's also the only colored piece I've ever done, seeing as how I'm colorblind and all.

I'm not sure if my piece will make it into the book, but Mike inspired me to draw it back in my college days so I felt I should take a shot at it. The folks managing this project are estimating 50-60 pieces for the book, so I think my chances of making it in are good. I will post an update when the final line-up is decided in a few weeks.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Daamn. You drew that? Nice!

styxzy said...

Wow, i think the eyework is the most amazing part. You definitely make it seem more alive and really make me wonder what's on her mind...