Monday, March 29, 2010

And the Road Goes Ever On

For those that have been following Krissy's battle against cancer, you know that she's made huge strides and shown great bravery as she walks this path towards healing. I've said it many times, I don't know another person with as much heart and determination as Kris has packed into her tiny frame. Today she took another huge step towards her goal of being cancer free. After 13 years, she decided to resign from working at PROFITsystems and focus full time on her recovery and spend more time with our daughters. This Friday will be her last day at the office.

This was obviously a tremendously difficult decision for her to make, on many levels. She wanted to work. You don't realize how far from normal you feel until you're forced to take an extended leave from your job. The routine becomes a part of you and once it's gone you feel idle and even guilty at times. Our office has been absolutely amazing to both Krissy and I, so her decision to quit working was made even more difficult because we spend everyday around such great people. Of course, they're very supportive of her, and they've taken such good care of us for so many years that it's hard not to question whether this was the right thing to do. But it is, and will give her all the time and rest she needs to kick cancer to the curb.

This is also going to be challenging for our family. She's not taking a paid leave of absence, this is unemployment and I'll be the sole earner in the house. Not to mention our insurance situation will be shifting around, and we'll also be pulling Camryn out of daycare. This is a very positive change though, as Kris will get to spend much more time with the kids when it matters most to her. Cam is definitely daddy's girl, but she needs mommy's influence again now that Kris is able to keep up with her.

This big life changer is going to take some adjusting, and quickly, but I'm really very happy she made this decision now. I'd rather she take the time away from work to heal and focus on her every day challenges than force herself to work when she doesn't have the energy to put in eight hours. It isn't healthy and now she can work on herself instead of feeling like she's letting people down by calling in sick or not feeling her best at the office. I know, no one really feels that way, but when you're out all the time it can build up the guilt pretty quickly.

For me personally, I have some bittersweet emotions about it. I'm 100% positive this is the right decision for her but it also makes me pretty sad. I'm not sure how many of you know this, but Krissy and I have worked together for almost ten years, the majority of them just a cube or desk apart from each other. We met, became friends, fell in love, got married and had a child during our time at PROFIT. I spent every single day waking up with her, driving to work with her, working (and sometimes arguing) through the day at the office, then driving back home and spending the rest of our evenings together. I've spent more time with Krissy between work and home than any other human being in my entire adult life and I've loved it. So to know that after this week I won't hear her voice over the wall, or work together on a call, or know she's always just a few feet away from me will be tough to get used to. It'll still be a good place to work, but it will be diminished and frankly a bit lonely. But I know this what she needs to do and it's a small sacrifice to make for her to win this battle. I'd gladly work this job and nights as a junior apprentice burrito wrapper at Taco Bell if I knew it would guarantee her success.

So there you go, new adventures for the Lanza family are in the works, never a dull moment around this house! I'm excited for Krissy to begin this next phase in her life and recovery, and pray for the day when she can tell the world she is cancer free and ready to take it on full force.

G'night!

No comments: