Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Darn You Eyes!

Genetics are a bitch. Just as two wrongs don't make a right, two messed up genes to not produce perfect offspring. Unfortunately for Camryn, it looks like she's inherited her parents messed up eyeballs. What does our little Bean look forward to in regards to her vision? Well let's see what's on the menu between the two of us; Krissy has nystagmus, myopia, and astigmatism while I also have really bad myopia, astigmatism, colorblindness and plugged tear ducts when I was a baby. Nearly everyone on my side of the family has very poor vision and my great grandmother's last name is actually a derivative of "blind" in Italian. Guess we had quite the reputation :) The odds on Cam ending up with 20/20 sight sure don't look very good do they? She already inherited my tear duct issues and had surgery on her left eye last August. Yesterday Krissy took Cam in for the first eye exam since the surgery and I was holding my breath as I awaited the results of her tests.

So how did she fare? Well, if the fact that my soon to be two year old will be sporting glasses very soon, I suppose not so hot! It's not really a bad thing, I had just hoped she'd be the generation that got to skip ocular issues. Thankfully it's rare for girls to inherit colorblindness. Hopefully she can avoid the embarrassment of mismatched clothing and snarky art teachers that I've had to endure. Krissy said that the glasses she fitted with are really cute and not at all the pop bottle bottoms that used to be the norm for kids when we were little. Now the real challenge is getting her to actually wear them. I'm sensing a few expensive replacement visits to the eye doctor in our future...

On the Oasis front, we're still readjusting to home life and trying to keep on their program. It's hard to consistently come up with healthy and fulfilling meals when you're cooking for yourself. I sure miss that cafeteria! But we're doing our best. I actually lost about seven pounds down there and don't plan on putting it right back with junk food. Kris is also going to get bored quickly if we don't get our menu sorted out soon.

Today was also part two of the nutritional class with Dr. McCarty. He was supposed to talk about menu options and go into more detail on the nutraceuticals that they utilize, so I'm bummed we missed out. I've emailed a few of our Oasis friends to see if they can send me the notes since I'm not sure if Krissy will see this same lecture on her next trip out.

One thing that is still screwt up is our sleeping cycles. We were only an hour behind Colorado there but combine that small adustment with the fact our kids were sleeping in two completely different enviroments for two weeks and you've got a slightly rough readjustment to being back home. Cori is trying hard to get back into school, dance and home routines and is doing a great job. For a 5th grader she sure gets piled on with the homework! Cam is having the hardest time, since she was able to sleep with her sister and grandparents during our time away. Now she's back in her own crib and not liking it at all. I've been up about every two hours the past few nights getting her back to sleep in her own room. It'd be easier to toss her in bed with us for a solid night's sleep, but that's just not healthy for any of us in the long run. She'll get back into the swing of things but until then she's keeping daddy on his toes.

I've received a lot of questions regarding my post about the nutritional class and treatments from Oasis, so I'll be putting up another one to help clarify some of the things I wrote about. Most especially nutrition and how it relates to the work they do at Oasis. I've got a ton of notes to sift through and will hopefully have something up in the next few nights.

We're just over a week away from the charity auction for Krissy down at Thirsty Parrot and I'm already astounded by the level of support she's receiving. Dana, Cess and the gang are doing an incredible job organizing and gathering donations for this thing. Some of the stuff I've seen is simply mind blowing, makes me tear up a bit just thinking about it. I expect to have a webpage listing all of items available for the silent auction in the next few days and Dana will email everyone on our contact lists. If you know anyone who might be interested please forward the info to them. As always, we're incredibly blessed and thankful for all of our friends, family and even the strangers that have reached out to help us during this time. I have no idea how we'll ever properly thank you all!

I suppose I should get to bed before the Camryn alarm goes off again. I'm a tad hungry and trying to avoid naughty food before bedtime. I think I'll snack on some dried mangoes, which are not nearly as tender as what we had down at Oasis. These are more like mango jerky. I guess that's the price we pay for living next to these beautiful mountains!

G'night!

No comments: