Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day Thirteen: Veggie's Revenge

Welcome back everyone! Yes, it's that time again, Krissy has begun her second of three scheduled trips to the Oasis of Hope. We'll all gather around the virtual campfire every day to recount her tale, this time with the assistance of my lovely sister Cesa. Wow that really makes me sound like a cheesy gameshow host huh? She'll be supplying the words and perspective from Playa de Tijuana as only she can while I take up the position of ghostwriter. I'm really looking forward to getting her point of view on the treatment process at Oasis as well as hearing about the new folks they'll inevitably run into.

To quickly recap, Krissy has completed her first 12 day cycle of treatment at Oasis and we've been getting back into the swing of things during the four week break at home. It's been a bit difficult sticking exactly to the diet she's supposed to be on, especially now that we're both back to work, but I feel Kris has done great with her recovery path and is on the way to being cured. Unfortunately, we haven't had any real world proof or feedback to show us that these treatments are working as we don't currently have an oncologist at home to run tests and scans for us. Hopefully we can have a new one on board by the time she returns from this session in Mexico. We've received such incredible support throughout this ordeal and we're truly blessed to have friends and family around us providing love, prayer and overwhelming generosity.

Well, I think I've rambled long enough, let's hand the mic over to Cesa for a rundown of the girl's day at Oasis!

Hey there! Today started off rough, leaving the kiddos and husbands behind was hard, especially at 6am. Once we were in the air, the only thoughts crossing my mind were "what's this place going to look like, how will the people be, will it be anything like I imagined?" Well, to my surprise, it was just how I pictured it, with slight variations. Luis was the first person I met. He was our chaffeur from San Diego and he was so excited about the Super Bowl... not so cool that he was cheering on the Colts, but very nice guy. Dorian was the next friendly face and he was happy to see Krissy again. He showed us to our room and made sure to ask if we were hungry because lunch would be served soon after we settled in.

Lunch was interesting. Lot of veggies, and more veggies, and more veggies, but there were some very nice people sitting around us and I sat back and listened to bits of information that I could use to start piecing their stories together. We were all going to go on a shopping trip to one of the markets, but to our disappointment, the shuttle was not able to make it back in time and we were left finding things to do on our own. We came back and watched some tv, read a little and then decided to go to Starbucks for afternoon coffee. When we got back, we turned on the TV, did a little searching and found the Super Bowl. What a great way to finish the day, watching the New Orleans Saints win their well deserved 1st super bowl championship! Now after all the excitement, we're winding down. Krissy is sleeping and I'm juggling gossip mags, gossip TV, emailing and crocheting. I'm excited to see what tomorrow has to offer, maybe nicer weather, a stroll to the beach, who knows, but I'll be sure to let you know! All our love!

Thanks Cess! Reading that makes me wish I were there with you guys, I miss Krissy already and it's going to be a long week without her by my side. At the same time I'm grateful to Cesa for taking this trip with Kris and allowing me to stay home with the kids so we can maintain some sense of normalcy in their lives. I know she's sacrificing a lot to be away from her own family and I'm very thankful for her help.

I spent my first day "home alone" by doing mounds of laundry, eating mac & cheese with the kids (with veggies of course, I'm not that bad of a father!) and wrapping up the evening with the Superbowl. Cori had to watch the game to count commercials for a school project, while Camryn would look up every 20 minutes or so and yell "Go Broncos!" at the TV. I've never been so proud.

I should go so I can fold this four foot high pile of clothes on my couch. I'm looking forward to Skyping with Kris and Cess again tomorrow to see how they are doing and hear what the doctors have to say about the course of treatment. Stay tuned for more adventures from Oasis featuring Cesa Brooks, same bat-time, same bat-channel!

No comments: